KPN rejects takeover bid from EQT-Stonepeak consortium and KKR
(Reuters) -KPN NV has rejected “unsolicited” takeover offers from a private equity consortium comprising EQT AB and Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners and U.S. investment firm KKR, the Dutch telecommunications company said in a statement on Sunday.
“Boards of KPN concluded that both approaches fail to provide tangible and material added value over KPN’s recently updated growth strategy,” the statement said.
The EQT-Stonepeak proposition did not include an offer price, according to the company.
In April, the Wall Street Journal reported that the two investors sought to pay 3 euros per share for the top Dutch telecoms provider.
The consortium is considering whether to raise its offer, according to a Financial Times story which first reported the development on Sunday.
Both EQT and Stonepeak have been circling KPN since last year and started conducting due diligence last month, the FT reported, citing multiple people with direct knowledge of the talks.
EQT declined to comment, Stonepeak did not immediately respond to Reuters’ request for a comment on Sunday.
Any deal could also be opposed by the Dutch government, which through a law adopted last year has the option to block takeovers of Dutch telecom companies if they are deemed a threat to national security.
KPN also has a defence against unwanted takeovers in the form of a foundation that can build up a controlling stake to block any deal.
This proved successful in 2013, when KPN won a lengthy battle against unsolicited interest from Mexico’s America Movil.
($1 = 0.8321 euros)
Source: Read Full Article