How to get your money back when a wedding goes wrong

Wedding season’s in full swing. But problems with professional photographs, DJs hitting a sour note, venues not being up to scratch and even issues with wedding dresses and bridesmaids’ outfits can dampen the enjoyment of the big day, a survey from Which? has found.

Dress horrors included retailers and dressmakers closing down, dresses getting lost or not fitting properly (with some having to be left unzipped), according to the survey of over 2,000 people.

Which? says while such issues can be distressing, under the Consumer Rights Act, you are entitled to expect that the services you have contracted on your wedding day are delivered with reasonable care and attention.

Here are some other steps you can take:

Read More

Consumer rights

  • Your high street refund rights
  • How to complain about a payday loan
  • Mobile phone contracts – your rights
  • Bad reviews – how to get a refund
  • Employment rights
  • Dodgy goods: How to get your cash back
  • Train delays – your rights
  • Your rights when buying a used car

Ensure you’re insured

Adam French, Which? consumer rights editor, said: "Your wedding day is supposed to be one of the best days of your life, but no matter how diligent your planning, we’ve found that unfortunately, things can go wrong.

"As soon as you’ve confirmed the date and venue for your ceremony, one of the first things on your shopping list should be wedding insurance – just in case," he added.

"If you are unlucky and let down on the big day, remember you also have the right to seek a refund and compensation."

What to do if you’re let down

You could consider taking the following three steps:

1. Complain to the provider there and then – it may be that you can resolve the issue on the spot.

2. Write a letter of complaint as soon as possible after the event, spelling out the issues and outlining your request for a refund and compensation if applicable. Which? has a template letter which could help ( ).

3. For those failing to reach an agreement, the small claims court may be an option. Remember to keep hold of as much evidence to support your claim as possible.

Source: Read Full Article