Tesla just surpassed Walmart in market value. Here are the 8 remaining S&P 500 companies worth more than Tesla. (TSLA)
- Tesla became the ninth-highest valued US-listed company after its share price exceeded $2,000 per share on Thursday, according to data from YCharts.com.
- The electric vehicle manufacturer has seen its stock rocket more than 45% since it announced it would implement a 5-for-1 stock split on August 11.
- Tesla is now more valuable than Walmart, and less than $20 billion in market cap away from overtaking Johnson & Johnson.
- Here are the eight remaining S&P 500 companies that are worth more than Tesla.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Tesla is now more valuable than the bottom 492 companies in the S&P 500, without being a member of the S&P 500 index.
At its intraday peak of $2,021.99 on Thursday, Tesla sported a valuation of more than $378 billion, just above Walmart’s market capitalization of $368 billion, according to data from YCharts.com.
The electric vehicle manufacturer has surged more than 45% since it announced on August 11 that it would implement a 5-for-1 stock split in late August.
Year-to-date, Tesla has surged 378%. Investors have continued to bid up the company after it recorded its fourth straight quarter of profitability last month and is now eligible to be included in the S&P 500 index.
The relative valuation of Tesla to Walmart is astounding when considering the financial profiles of both companies. In its latest fiscal year, Walmart recorded $500 billion more in revenue than Tesla.
But in a world of near-zero interest rates, growth is scarce and investors are willing to pay up for it. Case in point, Tesla featured a price-earnings multiple of 1030x as of Thursday.
Here are the eight remaining S&P 500 companies that are worth more than Tesla, after it surpassed Walmart.
Read More: A $5 billion chief market strategist shares 5 post-pandemic stocks to buy now for gains as COVID-19 cases level off – and 2 big-tech winners to start cashing out of
8. Johnson & Johnson
Market Cap: $398 billion
Market Cap: $432 billion
6. Berkshire Hathaway
Market Cap: $492 billion
Market Cap: $762 billion
Market Cap: $1.07 trillion
Market Cap: $1.61 trillion
Market Cap: $1.65 trillion
Market Cap: $2.03 trillion
Source: Read Full Article