People who've had COVID-19 need just one shot, research suggests
Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I’m Lydia Ramsey Pflanzer, and today in healthcare news:
- Research suggest people who’ve already had COVID-19 only need one shot;
- What you can and can’t do once vaccinated;
- Alloy joins a wave of biotech startups that are doing more than just developing one drug.
If you’re new to this newsletter, sign up here. Comments, tips, or want to catch up? Email me at [email protected] or tweet @lydiaramsey125. Now, let’s get to it…
The research is in: People who’ve already had COVID-19 need just one shot
- A single shot of Pfizer or Moderna’s vaccine yields high protection for people who’ve had COVID-19.
- That’s probably because their bodies are responding to a viral threat they’ve seen before.
- One expert said giving people who’ve had COVID-19 a second dose was “kind of a wasted shot.”
Get the full story here>>
What you can and can’t do once vaccinated that the CDC guidelines don’t tell you
- The CDC’s guidelines for vaccinated people don’t cover every scenario, including some common ones.
- There isn’t advice for people who’ve had one dose or for families with members that aren’t immunized.
- Experts weigh in on what’s safe in 6 common scenarios not mentioned in the CDC recommendations.
Find out more>>
This biotech’s goal is to make $1 in profit. Peter Thiel and 8VC think it’s worth $563 million.
- Alloy Therapeutics raised a Series C round at a $563 million valuation.
- Alloy licenses scientific tools like “humanized mice,” but also plans to launch its own spinoff companies.
- It’s part of a larger trend in the biotech industry to create startups with multiple business arms.
Read the exclusive here>>
More stories we’re reading:
- Fauci: The US might not need AstraZeneca’s vaccine (Reuters)
- CDC says fully vaccinated people can safely travel in the US (Insider)
- Companies are trying to bring virtual mental healthcare to kids and teens (Stat News)
- JOIN US APRIL 29: How to invest in the spread of US marijuana legalization (Insider)
- Doctors are accusing UnitedHealthcare of squeezing them like a “boa constrictor” (The New York Times)
- Over 100 million people in the US have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine (Insider)
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.
Source: Read Full Article